As you know, waitressing is not just a job, it should be rather called an audition. It is said that way because you are often judged on your performance and serving skills. How well do you interact with your customer? How well do you tell the customer to feel relaxed and think of the space as a homely environment?
These questions are rather important and need to be seriously answered. Think of yourself as a waitress and ask yourself what shall be the most important thing you need to be doing. Being helpful, customer-friendly, and having exceptional serving skills are important points to know.
The other aspect of this interview is definitely clothes. You have to go in your perfect attire. Frankly speaking, you cannot afford to look bad in this case. Clothes give away the first impression of how you are as a person. Simply meaning that, do you take things seriously? You cannot go out there wearing clothes that are torn and have holes. That will not be a good first impression. To start small, you have to first wear well-tailored perfect clothes. Here in this piece, you will know everything about how to present yourself in a good manner in your waitressing interview.
The Best Way To Dress When Looking For A Waitress Job
So being a waitress can mean that you have to look presentable in your job. If you do not look presentable, simply put, the establishment may sack you. Just because the establishment looks like promoting casuals at the outset does not mean that it wholeheartedly will accept you in casual clothes. The setup may promote any sort of work-related outfit, but they in essence would want their prospective employees to dress decently and put on formal clothes.
In certain cases, the clothing can be a convenience factor as well. People want clothes that they feel comfortable in and it can be done efficiently in a job that is best suited for Waitressing in a casual restaurant. In a casual restaurant if there is a waitress interview you can tweak it a little bit.
In general, the clothing type can differ with the type of restaurant you step in. But a general overview also needs to be done with the dress.
What To Wear To Your Interview?
So, as far as a casual restaurant is concerned, a waitress can simply put on a conservative outfit. Most casual restaurant interviews take place in an informal setting. So you can just enjoy and soak in the aroma and be free of any worries. As far as your clothes are concerned, just make sure that you have put on your clothes in this manner.
- A button-down shirt is a good option, if you want to wear a blouse that’s just white will also not look bad.
- No high heels, try flat-toed shoes.
- As far as pants are concerned, putting on a formal color Khakis and Slacks would be great.
Coffee Shops like Starbucks generate a lot of buzz in the waitressing industry, it’s partially true for many reasons. Coffee is very essential in a corporate environment setup. Especially when you are taking a charge and making decisions on the go. Coffee acts as a specific catalyst for you. It helps you through thick and thin especially when your body is just not able to deal with the beating that your body has got.
- The attire in a casual coffee shop is simple. Trying on some button-down shirts or polo shall be a great option.
- Make sure you have khakis and formal pants for legwear.
- In case the coffee establishment is in a business setting. You have to put on some formal wear.
Industry and its demands can seriously change with time. You cannot expect the same level of outfit rules everywhere. In an upscale restaurant, it’s the value system that they want to create is more important. In these restaurants, waiters have to wear something profound and meaningful. For instance, the crowd here is upscale. And they will have their business meetings and discuss important issues. You have to wear a formal, well-ironed, button-down shirt. It shall be well put and perfectly done.
So outfit options are:
- Business suits sort of blended with both shirts and a suit.
- Flat shoes, formal wear.
- Very perfect well-put shoes.
Factors To Consider When Dressing For A Waitress Interview
So first of all once you are done picking up your clothes. Now it will be imperative for you to select clothes that you like. How will you know which cloth will be the perfect fit for you? Here is a list of factors you need to consider when wearing your favorite dress for an interview:
Why Is Grooming Important In A Waitress Interview?
See grooming in general plays a very important rather indispensable role in elevating your interview. Grooming helps establish the fact that you are sincere and putting in the efforts that are required to crack the interview. The other aspect of this is that the restaurant owner/HR staff knows the value of customer service. In the customer-first system, you have to make sure that the customer is happy at any cost.
So, if you look out of order. If your hair is dry, piercings all over the body can be a turnoff. So, please assess your situation and then run for the interview. Here’s a list of things that you can do to better groom yourself.
Tips To Groom Yourself For A Waitress Interview
- First thing first, tie your hair and make sure they do not fall out. You need to look perfect and great.
- Trim your nails. Having long nails can be a problem in the long run.
- Make sure you do not have body markings like tattoos or piercings. These things are generally no-no’s in these jobs.
- It’s always advised to hide all these attributes to have a better chance at the selection.
- Do not wear jewelry.
- Make sure that your shirt and pants have proper folds in them, are not rolled out and creases everywhere. Try putting on a well-ironed shirt.
- Clean your shirts before wearing them and then iron them.
- Sit in an upright posture. Do not lean or slouch. That makes you look old.
- Try to put on a belt if your pants are loose, obviously formal pants.
- Do not place any headwear, even if you do your research properly and find out about the headwear. It’s simply a big turnoff on many levels.
Tips For Waitress Interview
- For the Q and A preparation, it should not be a very big deal. I will mention them at the bottom.
- Research about the restaurant/coffee shop that you will be joining. Make sure what the vibe is like. You have to catch the pulse of the place and dress accordingly. Whether to put in full formal attire or casual will also be a choice.
- Try practicing some waitressing tasks that they might ask you. As you know, greetings and picking the tray up in a manner that the restaurant wants.
- Look for the dress code, and know what they want in terms of the top wear and bottom wear.
- You should also look for if they have any specific take on grooming. Do they let all girls have a specific way of doing their hair?
- Try speaking up near the mirror and express yourself. Make sure that you are able to express yourself without any problem. Try to communicate rather effectively and efficiently.
- Read up on the basics of customer service, and waitressing. Watch youtube tutorials and what the place is like in general. See How the crowd is, you will be good to go in no time.
Type Of Questions Asked In A Waitress Interview
Following are a few questions generally asked at the waitress interview:
Qualities You Should Possess to be a Waitress at a Restaurant
So to be a restaurant at first might seem like an easy job, no-hassle, casual, and everything. But the thing is it can be taxing and draining and can severely impact you if you don’t mold yourself.
- You have to be resilient, sweet, nice, and do all your best to satisfy the customer.
- From the start, you will be judged on the basis of your arrangement of cutlery at the seating table.
- How you interact with the customers is also an important element. You have to be nice and jolly with them.
- The test of your patience shall be when a customer can be mad at you, he might scold you. At that time you have to respond to him with kindness and make him understand the reason why it happened? So, the challenges can be many but you have to find a way around the problem. In case, you messed up with any order or swapped food items, just accept it’s your fault.
- Try to treat the customer as nicely as you can. If you do not do that, chances are you will be sacked the next day. The customer service industry depends on the support of the customer. Your job profile is all about pleasing the customer and keeping him/her happy. You have to adapt to the changing times and make your customer happy.
Waitressing may look like an easy job at the outset but in general, it requires a host of sophisticated, well-mannered skills to do it. This piece covers all the requirements, processes, and requisites required to become a waitress. Scroll a quick read if you want to become one.