Till the mid of 19th century, Chennai residents were used to take water from tanks and local shallow wells. A civil engineer, Mr. Fraser sent a proposal to the state government to provide water supply from the Kortalayar River located around 160 km northwest of Chennai and the proposal was accepted.
The project included a masonry weir across the river at Tamarapakkam and diverted the water into Cholavaram Lake and, then into the Red Hills Lake from the channel.
The project was finished at around Rs. 18.50 Lakhs in 1870. At Red Hills, a Valve House and a supply channel were built in 1872 to provide water supply to Chennai through gravitation. At the end of the city, the channel supplied water into the masonry shaft by gravity at Kilpauk where the cast iron mains branched off in the city and designed water supply distribution system scientifically.
In 1978, Chennai Metropolitan Water Supply & Sewerage Board (CMWSSB) was established under the Corporation of Chennai. It is a public sector company responsible for the development of covered underground masonry conduit from Jones intake tower to Kilpauk. At Kilpauk Water Works, it has constructed 14 slow sand filters and 3 pure water masonry tanks.
Recommended reading: Blood Relation questions and answers
The organization has installed 3 heavy-duty steam engines and laid the foundation of 48” steel pumping from Kilpauk to the shaft where mains are starting. It also ensures proper water supply under ideal pressure with altering, remodeling, and extending the distribution system.
CMWSSB Recruitment 2017
Chennai Metropolitan Water Supply & Sewerage Board (CMWSSB) is a public sector company operating under the corporation of Chennai. Established in 1978, CMWSSB is headquartered in Chennai, Tamil Nadu. Chennai Metropolitan Water Supply & Sewerage Board is responsible for sewage treatment, water supply, and desalination in the city of Chennai and outskirts.
CMWSSB Chennai or Chennai Metropolitan Water Supply & Sewerage Board is a government agency which has released recruitment invitation in its official website http://www.chennaimetrowater.gov.in/ and accepting job applications from the aspirants through online mode.
ALERT – Recruitment Date Extended!
CMWSSB Recruitment 2017 last date has been extended for Chennai Metropolitan Water Supply & Sewerage Board examination for 322 posts. Now candidates can apply for the desired post before April 5, 2017 (5.45 pm). Aspired candidates are requested to go through the recruitment notification before submitting their application form.
Keep in mind that applications are accepted from open candidates who are registered/not recommended by Employment office. Recruitment is available for the posts of Senior Accounts Officer, Deputy Controller of Finance, Junior Assistant, and Assistant Engineer (Civil/Mechanical & Electrical). Candidates should keep in mind that applications can be submitted by April 5, 2017. Here are the details regarding recruitment.
All the government job seekers should check the following important information, such as PayScale, CMWSSB bill status, Education Qualification, Age Limit, No. of Vacancies, Last Date, Selection Procedure, Application Procedure, and tips to apply for Junior Assistant, Assistant Engineer, and various jobs in CMWSSB. You are requested to check all the details in official notification before you submit your CMWSSB Recruitment application online.
Recommended reading: TNPSC Non Interview Syllabus
CMWSSB Chennai Metro Water Recruitment 2017 Notification Details
|Organization Name||Chennai Metropolitan Water Supply & Sewerage Board (CMWSSB)|
|Posts||Assistant Engineer, Jr. Assistant and others|
|Total Posts||322 Posts|
|Job Location||Chennai, Tamil Nadu|
|Last Date of Application||6 March 2017 (Old)|
Extended – 5th April 2017
CMWSSB Recruitment 2017 – Recruitment Details
Name of Post
|Dy. Controller of Finance||06||Rs. 15600 to Rs. 39100 + GP Rs. 6600|
|Senior Accounts Officer||03||Rs. 15600 to Rs. 39100 + GP Rs. 5400|
|Asst. Engineer (Civil/Mech)||113||Rs. 9300 to Rs. 34800 + GP Rs. 5100|
|Asst. Engineer (Electrical)||45||Rs. 9300 to Rs. 34800 + GP Rs. 5100|
|Jr. Assistant||155||Rs. 5200 to Rs. 20200 + GP Rs. 2400|
CMWSSB Recruitment 2017 – Eligibility Criteria
Assistant Engineer Electrical (Civil/Mech.) – 113 Posts
- Qualification-Candidates who are aspiring for CMWSSB Assistant Engineer posts should have a degree in Engineering (Civil/Mechanical) from any University or educational institution recognized by the University Grants Commission for its grant. A degree in Industrial Engineering or Production Engineering from Anna University is also considered as similar to BE.
- Pay Scale – Rs. 9300 to Rs. 34800 Plus Grade Pay of Rs. 5100 Per Month
Junior Assistant – 155 Vacancies
- Qualification – Interested candidates who want to join CMWSSB Jr. Assistant posts should pass Degree of any university which is authorized by the University Grants Commission.
- Pay Scale – Rs. 5200 to Rs. 20200 with Grade Pay Rs. 2400 per month
Age Limit (As on July 1, 2017)
- Ex-Servicemen – 18 to 53 years
- BC/BCM/DC/SC(A)/MBC/SC/ST – 18 to 35 years
- Others – 18 to 30 years
Age Relaxation – For BC/BCM/DC/SC(A)/MBC/SC/ST candidates – 5 years
- Assistant Engineer (Mech./Civil) – Rs. 9300 to Rs. 34800 with Rs. 5100 as Grade Pay
- Assistant – Rs. 5400 to Rs. 20200 with GP Rs. 2400
- Senior Accounts Officer – Rs. 15600 to Rs. 39100 with Rs. 5400 as GP
- Collector of Finance – Rs. 15600 to Rs. 39100 with Rs. 6600 as GP
CMWSSB Admit Card 2017 shall be issued to conduct exam for the posts of Jr. Assistant, Assistant Engineer, and other vacancies. After exam, selected candidates will be invited for interview.
Applicants who are aspiring to participate for the posts of Junior Assistant, Assistant Engineer etc. should make CMWSSB Online Payment through Credit Card or Debit Card or offline through DD drawn in favor of CMWSSB payable at Chennai from any nationalized bank.
- SC/ST/SC(A) – Rs. 250
- For others – Rs. 500
Mode of Payment
- Online – Debit Card, Credit Card, Net Banking
- Offline – DD drawn in favor of CMWSSB, payable at Chennai
CMWSSB Recruitment 2017 – How to Apply for 322 Posts Online?
- Visit the official site chennaimetrowater.gov.in
- Read the official notification carefully and find out your eligibility
- Apply online if you are eligible
- Fill in all the important details properly and upload scanned signature and photograph
- Pay application fee offline or online
- Submit the online application
- Take printout for future reference
Recommended reading: Selenium Interview questions and answers
Date of Notification – February 3, 2017
Closing Date (Extended) – April, 5, 2017
Hope we have covered all that you need to know about CMWSSB recruitment process. Do comment if you need to know any additional information.